Reviews and Problems with Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Showing 1-10 of 42
Yabob, B&H Photo
10 December 2013
Excerpt: I'm sorry to say that the copy I received front-focused significantly at the wider apertures and closer distances. I returned it and got the 85mm f/1.4 instead, which was spot on. It is truly a toss of the dice with this one.
Excerpt: Don't bother buying this lens, you'll return it later. Get the 50mm 1.4 from Canon if you can't afford the 50mm f1.2, because this lens is going to annoy you. In my experience, I wanted this lens for portraits mainly and some street photography since is not that heavy. It failed!
Summary: This lens arrived yesterday and I compared it with my Canon f1.8 50mm and Canon f4.0 24-105mm lenses. It was not nearly as good as either of them in terms of image sharpness. Even after trying to improve things somewhat with Photoshop, the final image was not nearly as crisp as with either of the...
Excerpt: I purchased this lens after having "hunting" issues with my Nikon 50mm. Well this lens is awful. Even after having it micro calibrated. It hunts, and its just a soft lens. Even at 2.0. Its looked like there was a plexiglass film in front of my pictures, and it missed focus more then it nailed it.
Sigma Firmware Required!!!! - Not a 1.4 rather a 2.0
17 October 2012
Summary: I waited months after owning to write this review. I really wanted to give Sigma the chance to correct the mistakes with this lens. After reading mixed reviews (either love or hate) I am ready to share my experience using this on a Nikon D5100. First. The lens had major focus issues.
Excerpt: I purchased this lens as the 50mm focal length on my 7D would put me right about 80mm. This was ideal for my portrait uses. Upon testing the lens I was getting very soft images when focusing on the eye.
Pros: Durable, Easily Interchangeable, Nice Bokeh, Strong Construction
Cons: Blurry Focus, Front focusing, Inconsistent Focusing
Latest copy purchased 2012-July still out of focus- Canon 50mm F1.4 is better
E. K. Wlin, Amazon
7 July 2012
Summary: I am not a pro but serious about photography enough trying to become one. I tried this lens on my Canon Mark iii and compared it with my new 24-70L 2.8 lens. The Sigma back focus as many has claimed, my 24-70L even at wide open for this lens has no focus problem.
Excerpt: I've ordered three of these Sigma lenses in the past month, hoping to RMA until I find a sharp copy. Each have been plagued by irredeemable front focus problems. The best copy I had needed to be microadjusted to +19, and even then the focus was inconsistent, hit-or-miss.
Pros: Durable, Easily Interchangeable, Nice Bokeh, Rugged, Strong Construction
Cons: Blurry Focus, Front focus problem, Poor Sigma quality ctrl
Excerpt: Before purchasing this lens, I checked all of the reviews. It was split about 15% bad and 85% average to good, so I took a chance. I guess I landed in the 15%.I was impressed with the construction of the lens. It wasn't too heavy and seemed rather solid.