www.testfreaks.com

Reviews, reviews, reviews...

Pioneer VSX-1021
5.8 out of 10

Pioneer VSX-1021

Pioneer VSX-1021-K The Pioneer VSX-1021-K is a 7.1-Channel Read more

Best Price at Amazon

Reviews and Problems with Pioneer VSX-1021

Showing 1-10 of 20
Overall 6
6.0

vsx 1021 k

Rob M., Newegg
16 December 2014
  • Summary: I bought 2 of these at the same time in 2011 one still works one died just after warranty.
  • Pros: network connection phone control
  • Cons: one broke just out of warranty
  • Read full review
Overall 5
5.0

Not happy ... can't see my Optomo monitor

agthorn, CNET
29 April 2012
  • Summary: Even if I get a technique to get my Optomo monitor to work on Monday, I do not know if I will be keeping this unit based on all the other factors discovered, read about, etc. I am just not that big of an Apple enthusist to ignore what is really important in a good Receiver just for 'air-play' ...
  • Pros: Airplay was attractive, but I am not as much a Apple freak as the next guy having moved on from iphone to droid but still carrying both! ;-) I loved it's 5-1 HDMI port and 7.1 speaker support. Price was good.
  • Cons: Did not support my Optomo projector! Can't use it!, Tried to reach Pioneer but need to wait till Monday. I found many others that were very disappointed in remote, long pause to start/stop, manual written by engineers, only 1yr warranty, etc.
  • Read full review
Overall 6
6.0

Good features, died quick

Andrew S., Newegg
6 March 2012
  • Summary: At least it choked under warranty? Took to Pioneer-recommended local repair, waiting for hear.
  • Pros: Good features for price, especially iPad app. Painlessly upconverts progressive.
  • Cons: From the start, 20% chance of losing HDMI audio when using TiVo HD skip feature. Skip again for (80% chance of?) recovery, or toggle inputs. However, after 6 weeks, all HDMI audio died.
  • Read full review
Overall 6
6.0

Defective

Genesis C., Newegg
10 January 2012
  • Pros: Great quality. Easy use with Apple products and DLNA.
  • Cons: Received and worked for one day. The next day turned on, heard and saw a big spark inside the receiver. RMA'd. Hope the next one works.
  • Read full review
Overall 6
6.0

pioneer vsx-1021

Jeffery B., Newegg
7 January 2012
  • Summary: This is not the first piece of high end equipment i have owned. This unit replaced a Carver receiver/amp that I had owned since the late 80's. I know welcome to the 21st century. But some of you may have not heard of Carver.
  • Pros: Looks good Once programed and working - easy to switch between other equipment (TV, CD, DVD, cassette deck, etc.) Yes a cassette deck.
  • Cons: a pain to hook up and really understand the manual. Difficult to know just where the speaker connect. Even though there was diagram. Connected Bose 501 (just two box speakers not a theater system) Programing was a pain. Button on remote really small and hard to see
  • Read full review
Overall 5
5.0

Had high hopes but just OK.

durangokid11, CNET
5 January 2012
  • Summary: The product descriptions make this sound like the best receiver since sliced bread. The implementation is a little lacking.
  • Pros: Love the ipad App but needs more features., Plenty of HDMI inputs but requires HDCP, Internet Radio works great.
  • Cons: Airplay only supports audio. Why not Video?, Ipod doc does not support video either even though it says it can., DLNA has very limited support. Movies in iTunes on a Mac will not play although they play fine through my samsung Blu-ray player.
  • Read full review
Overall 6
6.0

Great if it works

RADO R., Newegg
20 December 2011
  • Summary: This AV Receiver has quite a lot for feature for a midrange one. The iPod control works great. I will have to see after the RMA if the rest of the receiver is as well engineered. I replaced an 10 year old Kenwood receiver with this one. And it still works.
  • Pros: I used this with a bi-amped pair of Monitor 60 Series II from Polk Audio and a PSW10 subwoofer. When it was working, the sound was AMAZING advanced audio settings were tuned. I listened to the "Blue Danube", and when I closed my eyes, it felt as if an orchestra was playing right in front of me.
  • Cons: Something was wrong with the receiver from the begining, but it was confusing After wiring the speakers according to the manuals, the receiver would pick up the speakers only when I rotated its chassis towards the left. There was no bad wiring or connects. After 3 days of trying, no sound at all....
  • Read full review
Overall 6
6.0

Its ok

Todi C., Newegg
22 November 2011
  • Summary: It seems most set-top devices (dish network receivers, etc) do not support HDMI CEC, so you can't use standby through on this receiver. Other AV Receivers seem to offer non CEC pass through.
  • Pros: - Easy setup - Audio is good for the price - Video is good - Newegg is always great to purchase from.
  • Cons: - HDMI standby pass through is only for HDMI CEC devices. - Remote buttons are very small - The wireless adapter separate for another $150. - No Front HDMI
  • Read full review
Overall 6
6.0

Where's the "V"

Bradley S., Newegg
19 November 2011
  • Summary: How does Pioneer (and seemingly every other manufacturer) justify marketing products like this a "AV Receivers" when they have an audio tuner, but no video tuner. Perhaps I'm dating myself, but in the days of audio-only devices, the primary difference between a "receiver" and a "processor" was that...
  • Pros: I don't actually own this product. . .
  • Cons: I don't actually own this product. . .
  • Read full review
Overall 6
6.0

not a keeper

DOUG P., Newegg
11 October 2011
  • Pros: looks nice on my dresser
  • Cons: no hdmi labled for sat/tv (heard of hd tv) the little door on front pops off, its designed that way (do you have kids). remote is rediculouse way too many small buttons. returning for the onkyo 609.
  • Read full review
Next page >>